ESSENCE has featured an extensive programme of training, dissemination, and outreach events. Below we list all major events organised by the network, and provide links to individual pages describing each of them (for those events that were open to external participants).
Five ESSENCE Workshops were run were Fellows have been able to present their research results within and beyond the network, and which have been used to bring together scientists and practitioners from various communities who work in related fields:
- Workshop 1 - Exploring the ESSENCE Space (April 2014, Edinburgh)
- Workshop 2 - Ad Hoc Approaches to ESSENCE Problems (October 2014, Ischia)
- Workshop 3 - Algorithms for Processing Meaning (May 2015, Barcelona)
- Workshop 4 - International Workshop on Diversity-Aware Artificial Intelligence (August 2016, The Hague)
- Workshop 5 - Taking Stock and Going Forward (February 2017, Madrid)
Three ESSENCE Resears Schools were organised, which featured a host of lectures, tutorials, and training courses delivered by experts, open to students and researchers from all over the world.
- Autumn School 1 - Evolving Semantic Systems (October 2014, Ischia)
- Summer School 2 - Evolving Semantic Systems (August 2015, Edinburgh)
- Summer School 3 - Creativity and Evolution (September 2016, Como)
Three ESSENCE Coding Camps have provided opportunities to focus on practical systems development and experimentation by spending a week together in “Hackathons”, working on software components and benchmarks, and integrating individual Fellow contributions in joint software and data repositories.
- Coding Camp 1 - ESSENCE Hackathon (May 2015, Sant Feliu de Guixols, Costa Brava)
- Coding Camp 2 - Components & Benchmarks (June 2016, Sant Feliu de Guixols, Costa Brava)
- Coding Camp 3 - Towards an ESSENCE Software Platform (February 2017, Tenerife)
In October 2017, a Final ESSENCE Conference will be used to summarise the scientific results of the network and to help establish a broad, international research community in the area:
- International Conference on Computational Approaches to Diversity in Interaction and Meaning (October 2017, Venice)